Nafplion and its 3 fortresses
The old town of Nafplio is located on a peninsula, under the castle hill of Akronafplia.
Local attractions include the three fortresses of the city: the fortress Akronafplia located on the castle hill above the old town; the Palamidi fortress built by the Venetians 1711-1714 crowns a 216 m high hill east of the Old Town and is named after the ancient legendary hero Palamedes. It can be reached either by car or by climbing the 999 steps. The Bourtzi castle – seen in the picture at dusk, is located on a small island before the harbor entrance.